Tuesday, 12 September 2017

More putty..

I added some interior details to the passenger compartment (two Cap Light Infantry backpacks and an M50 assault rifle) then finally took the plunge and glued the front and back sections together, rendering the interior more or less inaccessible for further painting.



After that, more milliput, and more sanding once that dries. I'm so close to actually being able to start painting the exterior!




Monday, 11 September 2017

Almost there

Interiors done, ready for for final assembly of the fuselage and then we will see what gap filling is required above the cockpit and below the passenger compartment.




Sunday, 10 September 2017

I see a grey helicopter and I want to paint it black

..but I cant. At least, not yet.

I finished filling the gaps and then re-doing the intentional gaps between the panels, theb sanded down the Milliput so that it is hopefully smooth enough that it will blend in with the resin once painted. Spent a little while trying to hot water bend the landing gear into the right shape as well as the passenger compartment floor on both halves. It looks straight now but I guess I will find out when I try to glue it together.



However, I've decided I want to paint the interior and the easiest way to do that is to paint it before glueing the two halves of the fuselage together. This is complicated by the fact that the two points where the parts join will both have gaps that need to be filled and sanded, which would make a mess of a primer coat if I put one down.

So Ive primed only the interior for now, which I will paint tomorrow. Then I can perform the necessary putty work and sand it, mask off the interior and prime the rest of the LARC..

Saturday, 9 September 2017

Breaking the habit of a lifetime!

I recently backed the Kore Aeronautics kickstarter for their L.A.R.C aircraft so I could use it in my small Capital force for Warzone (it makes a pretty good counts-as Emancipator). This KS had a very fast turn around of just a few months and when it arrived yesterday I decided that no, I would not put this in my hobby closet to be built 'later' just like all my other KS rewards sitting in said closet.

I would build it right now!


Er..


Despite the number of parts, actually building the LARC Talon is pretty easy. The tricky part is the cleaning of the parts prior to assembly, and some parts will need to be straightened in hot water. The landing gear / skids and the back piece that connects the rear half of the passenger compartment and the tail (part 3, below) will both need it.


It seems the easiest way to build it is to attach the 1s and 2s together to make a front and rear sub assembly. Then attach part 3 and do your best to line things up, then the tail .



Several hours of sanding later to make the curves of the fuselage match up.. it looks pretty good even when loosely assembled and held together with blu tack! Of course, next step is gap filling followed by even more sanding..

Wednesday, 30 August 2017

How many panels is enough? Always one more than you have!

Progress! I burned through another sheet of plasticard (okay, two) but made some exterior panels, as well as some small vertical panels for the ends of the corridors..



This gave me the level of interior detail I was hoping for, without protruding too much from the walls to make model movement difficult (of course, the actual rooms themselves is another story). I painted them up and fitted them in place, then followed Tom Schadle's colour scheme for the Warsenal Cosmica terrain - more or less - since the base colour of orange and white is what Antenocitis use on their own pre-coloured Forward Base set.



..and here it is, finally finished!











Monday, 21 August 2017

The horse lives!

With a new pressure switch fitted, my compressor is up and running again so this weekend was spent catching up on those Antenocitis Workshop corridor detail pieces. I havent glued the parts together yet as I will do another weathering pass.. and maybe add some more white, since these panels were supposed to BE white, but ended up a light grey.


But all things considered I am pretty happy with it so far, and will create similar panels for the front and back walls of the habitat.