Sunday, 29 May 2016

..and now, something old school

A couple of months ago I broke open my Battletech Introductory Box Set to see if my kids could get to grips with the quick play rules and they took to it well enough that I ordered some nicer mechs for them to use. Of course, all the cool looking ones they picked out were only available from the US and they finally arrived last week. 

So we have Thunderbolt TDR-1C standing in for a 5SS (I originally got a 9M but the new Thunderbolts just look too weedy), a Marauder MAD-4X standing in for a 3R and a Super Griffin to be used as a regular GRF-1N. Now all I need is the SRM6 from a Thor for the Thunderbolt..

Saturday, 21 May 2016

It begins with the end..

So after months and months of watching my sci-fi corridor mdf kits pile up, I decided I should finally make a start on building it now that my AvP pledge has (mostly) arrived.

I have started with the simplest components in the set - the dead ends - both to test how easy it is to customise the pieces and to get a feeling for practical its going to be to paint the parts individually before gluing them together. The primer is drying on those pieces right now but I'm already running into some problems with the detailing. It turns out my Silhouette Portrait just doesn't have the chops to cut through the 0.3mm plasticard I am using, even at the highest settings. This isn't a problem when it comes to separating large pieces from the sheet as I can bend the material and pop those pieces off.. but the small details have to be removed with a knife and the results aren't good enough.